Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Easter.

Easter.  What exactly is Easter?   I remember Easter as a time when I was a kid, much like Christmas only more candy.   A basket, mostly filled with plastic colored grass, with colorful dyed eggs, plastic eggs filled with jelly beans or some little treat.   In the center was a big box containing one large chocolate rabbit.  And this is what I remember the most.  Of course, church.  Yes, all the dress-up dresses, pretty tights, white or black shoes.  Don't forget the hat... I remember wearing this as well.   

I remember, sitting still as this was the proper thing to do..  I was not a loud child, nor did I bother anyone around me.   I would sit (almost) motionless as mother whispered in my ear.  Every now and then turning my head just briefly to look at the filtered light shining through the stained glass window.    It was almost magical to take in the beauty of the light, and the spicy aroma that filled the air...I imagined God hovering over us, as the minister spoke.   As much as I tried to take it all in...it was just too much for my young mind to understand.   After wards, I was happy to clasp my mommy's hand and walk into the bright Sunday sunshine.   My heart was filled with glee knowing I could eat more of the chocolate bunny, after dinner.    Mom always made the best dinners.   Sometimes she would have a beef roast simmering on the stove, on low, while we had gone to church.   The heavenly aroma of beef, potatoes and carrots would raft through the door as we walked in.    I would happily bounce down the hallway to my room to get the shoes, tights and all the dress-up off and thrown upon the bed.   Mom would come into my room about the time to see me wad up my clothes.   She recoiled in horror- I knew she wasn't at all happy with me...even when I tried to say..."I was going to hang them up, but you came in too soon!"  Her busy hands were quick to fold and put away until another day.   I was relieved that I didn't get in trouble.    Just before dinner was served, a knock at the door...it was my aunt and uncle... they always came to dinner on special occasions...as they didn't have children or grandchildren in which to visit.   I was especially happy to see them come, as they would bring a small wrapped gift just for me.   I busied my myself by bringing in my latest doll I had gotten for Christmas... their eyes lit up as I explained that my doll came with extra dresses, she could even drink from a pretend milk filled bottle.   About the time I was getting drowsy from all the excitement it was time to eat.   I could fill my head getting heavy...mom assured me, if I could just eat a little more, I could get up on the couch for a nap.   Funny thing is...I don't remember getting down from the chair or even climbing upon the couch!   I must have been very sleepy.   

This is just a short story of how I remembered Easter at our house.

As I got older, I realized there was more to Easter than just a pretty basket filled with goodies.  More than cute little stuffed bunnies.   It was and is about Jesus.   Its all about Him.   How he suffered and died upon the cross to pay our debt.  He rose from the dead to give us all new life.  He did this just for me.   And Jesus has done this for you!

'May we never forget the price He paid for our debt.
   Because He Loved we live.
      Because of our sins He died.'
                             written by Mary/1990







Psalm 37:4

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails